Although not all pregnant women experience morning sickness, it can be so uncomfortable and bothersome especially to first time moms. Morning sickness can be due to a lot of factors, including:
- Hormonal changes
- Low blood sugar levels
- Vitamin deficiency
- Strong smells or foul odors
- Stress and anxiety
- Lack of exercise
Most of the time, first time moms experience morning sickness as well as those who are expecting a baby girl or those carrying multiple babies. Because morning sickness can last throughout the whole pregnancy, you surely want to feel better and even relieve yourself from such burden. Here are natural remedies that you will find helpful:
1. Take 25mg of vitamin B6 every eight hours to reduce vomiting and nausea.
2. Grate or cut ginger root and add it to a cup of hot water. Drink the concoction like it’s tea.
3. Before you go to bed, eat a snack that’s rich in protein.
4. Relieve your hormonal activities by walking or doing some mild exercises.
5. Before you get up in the morning, eat some crackers.
6. Avoid some foods that are spicy, greasy, and fatty. It also helps if you stop drinking anything with caffeine and artificial sweeteners.
7. Don’t move too fast, especially when getting out of bed. Make sure you get plenty of fresh air as well.
8. Sip apple juice at night to keep your blood sugar stable.
9. Lemons are effective against nausea and vomiting. Drink lemon water or simply smell them to make yourself feel better.
10. Always go for small meals. Even though you may not be in the mood to eat, you should never have an empty stomach as this can result to worse symptoms.
11. Mint also helps. You can simply eat or sniff some mint, which has a fresh flavor and smell. This can help whenever you’re feeling nauseated.
12. Make sure you get plenty of rest because being overtired will not help with your morning sickness. In fact, it will make things worse.
13. Acupuncture has been known to help treat morning sickness. The procedure applies gentle pressure to some certain nerve centers in the body, so that pregnant women will feel better.
14. Make sure you drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated will help reduce nausea. If it makes you vomit, you can go for natural juice popsicles instead.
15. Drink herbal teas such as ginger, peppermint, and lemon balm. If you’re experiencing heartburn, you may want to avoid peppermint tea.
There are also prescription medications that your doctor may advise you to take. But you can reduce your symptoms by simply going the natural route.