Your bathroom is clean and you feel confident that it is germ-free. But what we don’t know is that our sparkly clean bathrooms, kitchens, and other parts of the house can have mold. As soon as you find mold, you should fight it immediately. Mold thrives in a moist, wet environment. A scary fact about mold is that aside from causing expensive damage to our house, there are 50 kinds of it that are toxic to humans. You can use sprays to kill mold, but they come with harmful chemicals that could also cause even more health damage. Instead, use a green technique in which you remove mold from your house with tea tree oil.
Tea Tree Oil vs. Mold and Mildew
Tea tree oil is a type of essential oil extracted from a tree called melaleuca, which is why it is sometimes known as melaleuca oil. Tea tree essential oil has been proven to have anti-microbial properties, which make this oil a must-have for skin and health care. Those who are advocates of cleaning methods that only use natural products recommend tea tree oil in killing mold and mildew. Here’s how to use the essential oil:
1. First, you will need the following items:
- Tea tree oil
- Spray bottle
- Hydrogen peroxide (optional)
- Bleach (optional)
2. In a plastic spray bottle, mix a cup of water and a teaspoon of tea tree oil. If there is a lot of mold in the house, you will need more than a cup of water.
3. Shake the spray bottle to mix the concoction well. You can store it for later use since tea tree oil has a long shelf life.
4. Spray the mix onto the mold directly and leave it there overnight. Tea tree oil is naturally safe, so you can leave it on the surface without worries. It does have a potent pine-like smell, but it will go away within a day.
5. The next day, you will find that the mold is already dead. Use a rag, which is dipped in vinegar and scrub the remaining mold until you see the area is clean. It can be difficult to remove dead mold, so you will need a bit of patience. Throw away the rag or you can wash it in hot water to stop mold spores from multiplying.
You can mix tea tree oil with the optional items above. This essential oil is considered safe for adults, but it can be dangerous for pets and small children. Be sure to store the tea tree oil bottle in a place they can’t reach and keep the little ones and pets away when you’re spraying an area.