Composting is considered one of the ways to build a healthy soil and is also one of the building blocks of a successful garden. While you can simply dump natural compost into your garden, you may want to reconsider your technique. Why not brew some compost tea, which is a natural fertilizer that will benefit the soil, plants, and the seedlings? Compost tea can extract nutrients and provide beneficial bacteria, which will be suspended in water, so that they can be easily available for the plants.
You don’t need any special equipment for your compost tea. Here are the steps to making one:
1. First, get the materials required for this project. Here are the things you need:
- A 40 gallon barrel
- Mature compost
- Strainer like burlap or cheesecloth
2. With the materials above ready, it is time to start making your compost tea. In the barrel, place compost and water. The measurements will depend on the amount of mature compost you have. As a recommendation, have 10 gallons of water for every 10 pounds of compost.
3. It is important that you have protection for the barrel for the changing weather.
4. Use a stick to stir the compost every day. Do this daily for a minimum of five days.
5. Use your cheesecloth or any strainer to get the liquid from the compost. Make sure there are no odors and no bubbling. It is also important to use the liquid right away without adding water.
It is important that you use compost that’s earthy-smelling and is mature; otherwise, it will smell unpleasant and it could be anaerobic. When the soil is anaerobic, there will only be few beneficial microbes that could survive in it. There are many alternatives to mature compost as you can use leafy materials, such as rotting greens and even your used tea bags. You can also use compost spray, which can help control plant diseases. If you’re interested, here are the steps in making the spray:
- You need to combine compost and water in a kilogram of bucket.
- Stir for 15 minutes.
- Take the liquid and spray directly onto your plants or seedlings.
With your compost tea, your plants will grow more because of the nutrients and minerals that will give them greener leaves and bigger flowers. If you’re planting vegetables, you will notice you have more yield and they are much larger. Compost tea can also help fight diseases and can ward off pests and fungus that can harm your plants.