Everyone adores bubble tea, but reports about the chewy balls in the drink may stop people from drinking it. It was back in the 80s when the drink was created in Taiwan. It consists of milk or fruit flavorings and fruit jellies or tapioca balls.
Tapioca balls are made from a combination of sweet potato, cassava starch, and brown sugar. But according to rumors, these are not the only ingredients in those bubble tea pearls.
A hospital scan performed on a Chinese patient showed that there were white dots found in the stomach of this person. Then, a doctor stated that those white dots weren’t starch, since this common ingredient is digestible. Scans should not show something digestible as they should vanish after the digestive system has processed them. The patient recently consumed bubble tea and it was later identified that those are from the tapioca balls.
Is Bubble Tea Bad for You?
Local news in Japan, China, and Singapore are claiming that there’s something dark about these bubble tea pearls. They may be tasty and chewable, but there could be something wrong about them – especially with how they were made. Some sources talk about these startling and not to mention scary rumors:
- There are drinks that are chemically manufactured in factories.
- The tapioca pearls are made from boots.
- Some pearls are made from old tires.
It is indeed frightening that a CT scan showed the strange white dots in a patient’s stomach after drinking bubble tea in Shandong Province. A reporter heard about what happened to this particular patient and also asked to have a CT scan. It turned out that she also had some white spots in her abdomen. Naturally, the reporter visited boba shops around the area and she started asking how the owners and employees make the tapioca balls. No one gave her a specific answer, except one employee who said the balls were made at a factory using weird things such as old tires and soles of leather shoes.
Going back to the CT scans, the white dots may now seem to make sense because those things are indeed indigestible. What’s more, they can cause serious internal blockages and may potentially harm the lives of drinkers, especially children.