If you have a hair problem, you may have tried various formulas just to solve it. There are shampoos, conditioners, and other hair products that claim they can help you have healthier, shinier, and stronger hair, but they could have negative side effects, apart from the fact that there is no guarantee they will work.
Here is an alternative method though that can help you take care of both your scalp and your hair: use castor oil. Yes, with just this very simple ingredient that comes from beans or seeds of Ricinus communis or the castor oil plant, you can apply the oil to your hair and you will experience the benefits it can offer.
The Many Medicinal Properties of Castor Oil
This may not be as popular as olive oil or coconut oil, but castor oil is highly regarded for its health benefits. Oftentimes, it is used as a laxative, but it can also provide several uses to our health, including for hair growth. But of course, this is not all as you can also find various uses of castor oil such as:
- For facial cleansing
- Dark spots removal
- Stretch marks elimination
The oil actually has a unique composition of chemicals, which contributes to its potential in healing different ailments. Some of the chemicals involved include:
- Vitamin E
- Omega-6 fatty acids
All of the above elements are quite helpful in promoting the health and growth of your hair.
How Castor Oil Benefits the Hair
With the chemical composition mentioned above, you can use castor oil for your hair and expect it to help you with the following problems:
- Hair loss
- Slow hair growth
- Split ends
- Dry scalp
- Dry hair
- Dull hair
Castor oil is also an antibacterial and antifungal type of oil that can prevent issues, including folliculitis, ringworm, and piedra.
Using Castor Oil for Hair Regrowth
Now that you know you can use castor oil for your hair problems, the question is, how do you apply it to your hair? It is actually very simple. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Apply castor oil to your hair using your fingers or a brush. Do so in circular motion as you gently massage your scalp to promote blood circulation. This also stimulates hair growth and rejuvenates your hair and scalp.
2. Make sure every part of the hair is covered by the oil. It helps if you part your hair into several sections, so distribution is even and proper.
3. Use a warm towel or a shower cap to wrap your hair for at least two hours or you can leave it overnight. Doing so will allow the oil to penetrate your hair follicles, hydrate your scalp, and encourage hair growth.
4. Finally, wash the oil out of your hair thoroughly and use your shampoo and conditioner afterward.
Castor oil is thick, so it is recommended that you use it with coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, or just water in equal amounts. This will help mask the consistency and also allow it to be distributed easily to your hair.