The diseases that affect millions of people around the world, including heart disease, asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, cancer, and diabetes, require lifestyle changes for the long-term. But what we don’t know is that there is one common denominator linked to these diseases: inflammation. This is the root of many illnesses and we should address them right away. Thankfully, you can eat anti-inflammatory foods to stop chronic inflammation and prevent the development of these diseases.
Top 15 Foods for Stopping Chronic Inflammation
Add these foods to your diet to fight inflammation and become healthier:
1. Green leafy veggies have antioxidants, such as flavonoids that fight inflammation. There are plenty of choices, including kale, spinach, and Swiss chard, which contains vitamins A and C, which are antioxidants as well. These vegetables are also rich in vitamin K, which fights oxidative stress that may occur in the brain.
2. Blueberries are rich in quercetin, which has strong anti-inflammatory capabilities. Quercetin is a flavonoid that not only stops inflammation, but also cancer.
3. Pineapples contain quercetin and bromelain, which are both inflammation fighters. Bromelain also helps in digestion, blood clotting, and also lowers heart attack risk.
4. Salmon contains omega-3s that can fight inflammation and lower chronic disease risk, including cancer, arthritis, and heart disease.
5. Bone broth contains minerals that the body can absorb easily, such as calcium, silicon, sulfur, phosphorus, and magnesium. There are also compounds that reduce inflammation, such as sulfates and glucosamine.
6. Walnuts have antioxidants that prevent inflammation to prevent type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and metabolic syndrome.
7. Coconut oil contains lipids that prevent inflammation and arthritis.
8. Chia seeds have omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which should be balanced in the body to reverse inflammation and regulate cholesterol and blood pressure.
9. Flaxseeds are also a great source of phytonutrients and omega-3s. They also have lignans that act as antioxidants to prevent aging, hormone imbalance, and cellular degradation.
10. Turmeric has curcumin, which is an active component that prevents inflammation. It may even be more potent than ibuprofen and aspirin.
11. Ginger in all forms can reduce inflammation because it is an immune system modulator to prevent overactive immunity.
12. Whole grains without added sugars are high in fiber that can reduce C-reactive protein levels, which mark inflammation in the blood.
13. Soy has isoflavones, which have been proven to lower inflammation, particularly in women.
14. Low-fat dairy, if you can tolerate it, can help lower inflammation. Go for nonfat or low-fat milk and yogurt, which also has probiotics that can protect the gut against inflammatory response.
15. Peppers no matter the variety can help reduce pain as well as inflammation.
Eat the foods above and make sure you avoid those that exacerbate inflammation, including fried foods, processed meats, refined carbs, and sodas.