The task of planning your meals is never-ending and definitely boring, especially if you have no one to impress, but yourself. You surely don’t want to be best friends with the delivery boy or being the most loyal customer at a fast food joint. Thankfully, you have a lot of choices – healthy choices, actually – when it comes to your next meal.
Many singles skip this meal, but this is one of the easiest times of the day to prepare food, which can include the following options:
1. Chili Cheese Omelets – Make an omelet the traditional way, but use the following for filling:
• Spring onions
• Fresh coriander (fresh basil is a good substitute)
2. Avocado and Egg Turned Pizza – This food is filled with protein and lots of omega-3s. Ingredients include:
• Pita bread for the crust
• Mashed avocado as the sauce
• Egg as topping
• Optional: prosciutto or bacon
3. Greens with Ham – If you want a protein packed meal in the morning, this is what you want where you combine the following with some hot sauce:
• Swiss chard
4. Frittata – Another food that has a lot of protein, frittata is good anytime of the day. The good news is that you only need to spend 15 minutes making this dish that has the following ingredients:
• Italian seasoning
• Red pepper, crushed
5. Crispy Smoothie featuring Peach – You might be used to berries for your smoothies, but you can also use peaches too. Blend walnuts, banana, and oats with peaches for a healthy and energizing breakfast.
6. Breakfast Sandwich – Instead of bacon, use lean turkey on your whole wheat English muffin. You can also add guacamole, eggs, and tomato to your sandwich.
7. Canadian Waffles – Simply toast one whole wheat waffle. Add a slice of cooked Canadian bacon and an over-easy egg. Drizzle with one to two teaspoons of maple syrup.
It’s lunchtime and you don’t know what to prepare for yourself on a weekend. Here are some very good choices:
1. Hummus Sandwich – Don’t just use hummus for dipping; you can make a sandwich with it and the following:
• Black pepper
2. Fried Egg Sandwich – It is as simple as it sounds. Just fry some eggs and make a sandwich out of them. To add more taste, use chipotle mayonnaise or you can use tomatoes and lettuce to complement with your egg sandwich.
3. Stuffed Avocado – Stuff avocados with garlic shrimp. Use olive oil, eggs, and seasonings to enjoy a richer taste.
4. Stuffed Bell Peppers – Another stuffed recipe, this southwestern food includes:
• Black beans
• Cheese (skip if you’re lactose intolerant)
5. Cheesy Melt with Mushrooms – Sautee mushrooms in garlic and butter first. You can also add wine and some olive oil. Pile the mushrooms into a whole wheat bread that you have grilled. Use provolone cheese as a topping.
6. Healthy Salad – Toss some avocado, spinach, strawberries, and gorgonzola. Use poppyseed as dressing.
7. BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad – Here’s another salad that you will love: barbecue chicken that has been upgraded with some black beans, veggies, and corn. You can use buttermilk ranch as your dressing.
You could get lazy in the evenings to whip up some food for dinner, but here are easy yet healthy options for you:
1. Spaghetti Carbonara – This is quite easy to prepare and only has the following ingredients:
• Garlic clove
• Parmesan cheese
2. Shrimp Scampi – Mix spaghetti and shrimp together along with other ingredients such as garlic, cream, white wine, and butter to make shrimp scampi for one.
3. Quinoa – Here’s an interesting way to make quinoa. Use figs, squash, peppers, and some seasoning to have a satisfying meal.
4. Fried Plantains – Have a Puerto Rican-style dinner tonight with this fruit. Slice and fry the plantains and add some sea salt. Don’t forget the black beans and rice.
5. Lamb Burger – Enjoy some Mediterranean cooking for dinner where you add sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and olives to your cooked lamb. You can also toss in white wine, garlic, and olive oil.
6. Fresh Burrito Bowl – Combine precooked chicken with healthy ingredients, you can have an easy Mexican-inspired meal that you will surely love.
7. Macaroni and Cheese – Whole wheat macaroni, shredded cheese, and a little bit of milk can give you this staple food for dinner.
For dessert, here are some treats that will satisfy your sweet tooth:
1. Strawberry Pancakes – Fill pancakes with yogurt and make a pancake batter from oats and egg whites to have this stuffed dessert.
2. Deep Dish Cookie – You can enjoy deep dish cookies even when you’re alone. Bake chocolate chip cookies and take pleasure in every bite.
3. Apple Crisp – Bake the following ingredients in the microwave for less than five minutes:
• Sliced apple
4. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin – Use pumpkin to create this muffin with only three tablespoons of flour. You can also use canned pumpkin.
5. Coffee Cake – If you are in a hurry, this one-minute dessert will give you plenty of time for other tasks. It is also low in calories and you only have to use spelt flour, vanilla extract, and applesauce. Place the ingredients in a mug and bake in the microwave.
More Recipes to Enjoy
If you’re hungry and you have no time to cook, here are more options for you:
1. Balsamic Pasta – Sautee shrimp using balsamic vinegar with brown sugar. Cook angel hair pasta and add some more balsamic vinegar along with basil, garlic, olive oil, and tomatoes. You can also add mozzarella cheese.
2. Shrimp Stir Fry – Here’s the Asian version for shrimp stir fry where you sauté vegetables, such as onions, pepper, celery, carrots, and mushrooms in sesame oil. When these ingredients are soft, stir fry sauce after adding shrimp. Add beaten egg and serve over rice.
3. Healthy Sandwich – Want a very easy meal? Just drizzle with some olive oil on ciabatta bread or any bread you want. Add mozzarella cheese, basil, tomatoes, and Italian meat. You can also add garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Cook in a pan to melt the cheese.
4. Taco Salad – Here’s another way to enjoy taco salad, which is healthier than you’re used to. Chop and sauté bell pepper and onion. Add ground turkey, tofu, and beef. You can use vegetable crumbles if you don’t want meat. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and combine meat, peppers, and onions, with spinach and other greens you want. You can also add sliced avocado, corn, tortilla chips, and black beans. Don’t forget the ranch dressing.
When you are single or you live alone, you can prepare your meals with downsized ingredients and less effort. Try the recipes above to eat healthy without breaking a sweat for meal preparation.