Your house can smell light, fresh, or musty – and most of the time, you have no clue about its scent. Homeowners get so used to it, making it difficult for them to recognize the stench of their home. Unfortunately, house guests notice it the instant they walk through the door.
While there are deodorizers that you can buy, you probably don’t want to spray and spread harmful chemicals in your home, particularly in your kitchen and bathroom. Instead, here are natural alternatives that will keep these parts of the house smelling fresh and clean:
For Your Kitchen
This citrus fruit helps neutralize odors. After cleaning your kitchen, use lemons or their leaves to leave a pleasant odor. You can easily mask food smell with lemons.
- Use on your dishwasher. You will need freshly squeezed one cup of lemon juice, which you can put at the bottom of the dishwasher.
- Use on your whole kitchen as freshener. In a pot full of water, add lemon peels, along with cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Aromatize your skin. Using a handful of lemon peel, run the sink disposal with water.
Aside from lemons, you can use other citrus fruits, such as orange and lime.
This is great for kitchen cabinets and anywhere in the house with storage. The oil from eucalyptus can remove fungi and bacteria, making it a great deodorizer.
- Freshen up your kitchen cabinets. Place a few eucalyptus branches in a musty cabinet. Replace every few weeks.
- Polish your cabinets. Using two tablespoons of eucalyptus in one gallon of water, you now have an antiseptic spray, which you can use as natural replacement for commercial sprays.
For Your Bathroom
You can use this to clean your bathroom tiles and keep them smelling fresh. Don’t worry about the strong smell as it will go away once the substance dries up.
- Neutralize bad odors. If your bathroom has hard-to-get-rid-of odors, simply use a tablespoon of white distilled vinegar and a fabric softener to remove the bad smell.
- Remove grime in the bathroom. Use equal parts of water and white distilled vinegar to make a spray that can get rid of grime in the shower and keep the spot smell-free.
4. Essential Oils
You can use your favorite essential oils to get rid of that not-so-fresh smell in the air.
- Freshen up your bathroom. Using cinnamon or orange, dab the oil onto a cotton ball and place in a small bowl. Let it stay there on a shelf. This will keep the bathroom smelling pleasant.
- Disinfect the bathroom. Mix essential oils with water and put in a spray bottle. Get that lovely aroma and a cleaner bathroom using tea tree or peppermint oil.
These natural deodorizers are not only less expensive than commercial products, but they are also much safer even if you have kids or pets around.