Sugar-apple, also known as sugar pineapple and sweetsop, is a relative of the guyabano or soursop. The sugar-apple does not have soft spikes just like its cousin, but it does have that same creamy white flesh, delicious taste, and dark seeds as well. If you’re looking for a fruit that will provide you with a lot of protein, you don’t have to look any further.
Aside from the protein content, there are plenty of other reasons why you should eat sugar-apples. These include the following health benefits:
1. For people with asthma: If you’re trying to avoid asthma attacks, eat some sugar-apples to prevent them from happening. This fruit is rich in vitamin C, so rich that it meets more than 150% of the recommended daily value for the vitamin. Asthma is a common inflammation that occurs in the airways. Eating this fruit could alleviate inflammation because of the potent antioxidant, vitamin C.
2. For people who are at risk of having a heart disease: Sugar-apples are very heart-friendly. The vitamin B6 that it contains can help you avoid buildup of homocysteine, an amino acid. If your blood contains plenty of the acid, you could be at risk of developing coronary disease as well as stroke.
3. For people with hypertension: Because of the potassium content of this fruit, which is equivalent to 18% of the recommended daily intake, it becomes much easier to regulate your blood pressure levels. Potassium is a mineral that can control the negative effects of consuming too much sodium.
4. For people who need more energy: If you are always sleepy and lethargic no matter what time of the day it is, you can snack on some sugar-apples. This fruit has thiamin, which is a nutrient that can convert the sugar you have consumed into energy.
5. For people with high cholesterol: Another great reason why you should eat sugar-apples is because it is a great source of niacin. This B vitamin is effective in lowering cholesterol levels in the body, particularly the bad type of cholesterol, LDL.
6. For people with thyroid problems: Sugar-apples have copper, which is a trace mineral that can aid in the production of the thyroid hormone known as thyroxin.
Sugar-apples are quite nutritious, which is why they are used as home remedies in some cultures. Whether it is to alleviate pain caused by muscle aches or to reduce the risk of serious diseases, such as heart ailments, stroke, and hypertension, sugar-apples can give you the health benefits you are looking for.