Teeth whitening is actually among those billion dollar industries. Unfortunately, many treatments that can whiten teeth use harsh chemicals that can cause teeth to feel sensitive for an extended period of time.
This is why many people look for alternative treatments that are not only effective, but won’t have side effects and won’t cost a ton of money.
If you’re one of those who want to brighten their smile without the use of over-the-counter products to simply avoid risks of tooth sensitivity, you only need to go to your kitchen and find this one spice: turmeric. You’ve probably heard about the benefits of turmeric when you incorporate it to your dishes, such as boosting our metabolism and even fighting cancer. But here’s one more that you can add to your list. Turmeric is a safe and very affordable solution to whiten your teeth.
How to Use Turmeric for Teeth Whitening
First of all, before you try this technique, you shouldn’t think of it as some miracle method of whitening your teeth. The first application won’t really give you that much of a difference immediately. You need to consistently do this for a few days up to one week. Now, for this method, you only need one ingredient: organic turmeric powder. Here are the steps:
1. Get your toothbrush.
2. Dip the brush into 1/8 of a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder.
3. Start brushing your teeth just like you would with your toothbrush and regular toothpaste. Do this for a few minutes.
4. When you’re done brushing, don’t rinse just yet. Allow turmeric to stay on your teeth for at least three minutes. Depending on the stains or the color of your teeth, you may need to let turmeric sit there for up to 10 minutes.
5. After the specified number of minutes, spit turmeric out and rinse with water.
6. Brush your teeth again and this time, use your toothpaste and brush as you normally do.
You may notice that there are yellow stains around the corners of your mouth. Don’t worry about those stains because they can easily be washed away if you rinse thoroughly. You can use soap to get rid of it as well. Additionally, there could be stains of turmeric on your teeth and gums, leaving you with a bit of a yellow tint in and around your mouth. This is why you have to brush your teeth again to remove the leftover turmeric and eventually have a brighter and whiter smile.