If you’re craving for a veggie burger, you don’t have to go to a restaurant. Just follow these steps to make one at home:
1. In a medium saucepan, boil water with salt.
2. Cook wheat berries for 45 to 50 minutes when the water boils until they become tender.
3. After cooking, remove the water and spread the wheat berries on baking sheets until they cool down.
4. Put some porcini mushrooms into a bowl. Cover the bowl with one cup of hot water for 20 minutes to cook the mushrooms. Drain the liquid, but keep about ¼ cup for later.
5. In a large skillet, heat two tablespoon of oil in medium-high heat.
6. Cook a shallot and stir until it softens, which usually takes three minutes.
7. Cook shitake mushrooms together with the shallot for six to eight minutes. You can toss every once in a while.
8. When done with the shallot and mushrooms, put them in a food processor until they are fairly smooth, along with porcini mushrooms and chickpeas. Don’t forget the liquid from the mushrooms, which you reserved earlier.
9. Transfer the mixture to a big bowl and add salt and pepper. Fold them using eggs and carrots. This mixture will make four patties, which you should place on a plate and let sit without cover for at least 30 minutes.
10. Cook patties in two tablespoon of oil in medium- high heat until they are deeply brown. Four minutes for every side should do.
11. Top with cheese, cover, and wait until the cheese melts.
Now you can serve the patties with your favorite toppings. The finish product? Check the image below: