It might sound impossible, but aging can be kept at bay. Women are expected to live up to 81 years on average and this can even be prolonged by fighting off diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Chronic diseases are not only fatal, but they also accelerate the process of aging. You can live longer if you practice some good habits that can help you stay healthy. Here are nine ways to lengthen your lifespan:
1. Stay Active. Exercise is the key to good health. Don’t be a couch potato. Exercise and move every day. You don’t have to be a gym buff or an athlete to enjoy the benefits. Simple activities, such as jogging and walking can help you live longer.
2. Stand Up. Your job may require you to stay in front of the computer for eight hours a day, but you should still take breaks. It is not recommended that you sit six hours daily since this can cause death due to any cause. Lower your risk up to 40% by cutting the number of hours you stay seated to three hours or less.
3. Drink One Glass of Wine a Day. Alcohol is not that bad, especially when consumed in moderation. One glass of wine is said to lower the risk of premature death.
4. Quit Smoking. While you can have a glass of wine daily, smoking is something you should totally avoid. Quit before you’re 40 to live about 10 years longer than those who quit later in their life.
5. Eat Nuts. Eating nuts can help you reduce your chances of getting heart disease, lung disease, cancer, and diabetes. A study has proven that turning nut-eating into a habit can reduce your risk of dying early up to 20%.
6. Eat Sushi. Ever wondered why Japanese women live longer than other people in the world? Experts think this could be because of what they eat. Sushi is a favorite Japanese cuisine, which you should indulge in. It has omega-3 fatty acids and can lower dying risks.
7. Eat Dark Chocolates. If you eat dark chocolates, you’re in luck. Studies show that eating these chocolates can lower the risk of getting heart attacks. Just like wine though, you should only eat dark chocolates in moderation – about two servings weekly.
8. Drink More Green Tea. This beverage is said to be one of the healthiest in the world. Although it does not fight cancer unlike what other people are claiming, it can help you shed some pounds so you can be healthier. Green tea has epigallocatechin-3-gallate, which is an antioxidant that can remove about three pounds within 12 weeks.
9. Be Happy. Forget stress at work and even at home. Smile more and be more optimistic. These are the secrets of people who live longer than others who always think negatively.
Although aging is a complex process and it is a part of life, you can add a few more into your age through the healthy habits mentioned above.