If your nails look abnormal, it could mean something is wrong with your health. But when it is yellow, this problem is mostly due to use of nail polish. Nails become stained or yellow because of frequent nail polish use and the leftover dyes. The best way to avoid this is to use a base coat, which can help protect the nails and also keep the colors for longer.
Smokers mostly have yellow nails because of nicotine and tar. Obviously, the ultimate solution here is to stop smoking. It does not just cause yellow nails, but can also damage our health. There are other methods for removing the stain, so you have stronger and healthier looking nails:
This solution has always been known for its whitening abilities, which you can use to get rid of yellow nails. Before you proceed, make sure the product is only 3% hydrogen peroxide. Here are the steps:
- In a cup, add half a cup of water.
- Put three to four tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in the water.
- When the mixture is combined well, soak your nails for at least10 minutes.
- Take your hand out and use a toothbrush to scrape the nails gently.
- Rinse with water.
Do this method at least once a week until you see the stain is gone.
Because of the natural bleaching properties of lemon, it is no wonder that it can also be used to remove the yellow color in your nails. Here’s what you’re going to do:
- Squeeze lemon juice into a bowl. The amount should be enough to let you soak your fingernails in.
- Once the lemon juice is ready, put your nails there for about two minutes.
- Again, use a toothbrush to remove the stains left.
- Rinse your nails after.
You can use a moisturizing lotion after you’re done. This is a safe method so you can do this twice a day to get great results.
If you’re using whitening toothpaste, you don’t need to buy anything else for your nails. This is great for people with mild stains on their nails. If you don’t know your toothpaste can whiten teeth, just look at its ingredients if it has hydrogen peroxide and do the following:
- Rub a little bit of toothpaste on each nail.
- Leave it there for 10 minutes.
- Scrub the nails using a toothbrush or nail brush.
- Remove the toothpaste using damp cotton balls.
Repeat this method two to three times weekly.
If your nails are stained because of a fungal infection, you shouldn’t do the methods above. Instead, seek help from a dermatologist, especially if the nails are peeling and flaking.