When you have leftovers, chances are you reheat those foods, so they don’t go to waste. This practice, although frowned upon by some people, is quite acceptable. The problem is not everyone is aware that there are foods that when reheated can actually pose certain health risks once consumed.

If after a holiday dinner, a birthday party, or any celebration, you have some leftovers, make sure the food you intend to reheat is not found in the list below:

Root and Leafy Veggies

Beets and other veggies, such as spinach, lettuce, cress, and celery, are rich in nitrates, which are beneficial to the body. Reheating these vegetables can become nitrites through conversion and can then turn to nitrosamines. These are known to be carcinogenic, so avoid firing up these root and leafy veggies even when there are leftovers.

Eggs and Chicken

It is fine to reheat foods that have eggs in them. However, if you plan to reheat scrambled or boiled eggs, you may want to stay away from this idea. The eggs can become toxic if you expose them to high temperatures, especially once they have been cooked.

Meanwhile, eating chicken after you prepared it the day before is a very dangerous habit that many people don’t know about. The proteins found in the meat of the chicken will change, which can give you digestive problems. Remember that chickens have more protein content than red meats. If you have leftover chicken, you don’t have to throw it away. Just enjoy it cold; otherwise, you can fire up your stove and re-cook the chicken, but do so with very low heat.

Use that stove flame for reheating something else / PicHelp
Use that stove flame for reheating something else / PicHelp


Potatoes are starchy foods that contain many health benefits. However, their nutritional value significantly reduces when you let them sit for a day or so. Don’t reheat the leftover potatoes as they can become toxic and could cause some serious food poisoning.


These fungi are actually nutritious with the vitamins and minerals they can offer. However, if you have leftover mushrooms from last night’s dinner, it is a big no-no to reheat them. In fact, mushrooms are the most notorious when it comes to reheating because this can give you digestive problems. Mushrooms are supposed to be eaten after you have prepared them because they go bad very quickly.

Surely, you don’t want to serve poison to your family. The next time you put your leftovers on the stove, microwave, or oven, know first if the food is safe for reheating.