Everyone knows about having an apple a day can keep the doctor away. But apples are not the only applicable fruit for this proverb because oranges are equally recommended.
Oranges are healthy fruits, giving you several reasons to eat an orange every day. This fruit is low in calories yet can provide you with a lot of nutrients. Aside from promoting healthy skin, it also reduces the risk for acquiring many diseases.
When you eat oranges, it is possible that you will acquire these health benefits:
1. Stroke – The American Heart Association recommends eating high amounts of citrus fruits, such as oranges, to lower chances of getting ischemic stroke up to 19%.
2. Blood Pressure – By combining a low sodium diet and citrus fruits regularly, you lower your blood pressure levels effectively. Oranges also have potassium, which is important in maintaining healthy BP. High potassium intake also decreases your chance of dying from any health cause up to 20%.
3. Cancer – Oranges and orange juice can lower the risk of developing childhood leukemia, especially when these two are consumed in the first two years of life. As a citrus fruit, oranges contain high levels of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that combats free radicals that cause cancer. Oranges also have fiber, which when consumed regularly in high amounts can lower the risk of getting colorectal cancer.
4. Heart – A healthy heart is necessary to live a good life. Oranges can give you this with the help of the nutrients they contain, which include vitamin C, choline, fiber, and potassium.
5. Diabetes – Oranges can help combat diabetes, particularly type 1 diabetes because of the large amounts of fiber they have. Fiber, particularly when consumed on a regular basis, can help lower glucose levels in the blood. Oranges are also helpful for those who have type 2 diabetes also because of fiber, which can improve lipids, insulin, and blood sugar levels.
6. Skin – As mentioned, oranges have vitamin C, an antioxidant that can provide tough defense against skin damage due to pollution and sun. Vitamin C can also help reduce the appearance of wrinkles on your face and enhance the texture of your skin. This vitamin is vital in the formation of collagen, which is a protein in the body believed to prevent skin aging.
With over 170 phytochemicals and 60 types of flavonoids, it is no wonder that oranges are among thehealthiest fruits around the world.