When people look at you, your skin is the first thing they usually see. The skin is also the largest organ in us humans and has a lot of purposes, including being the first defense against the environment as well as germs around us.
The skin also converts sunlight to something healthy, which is vitamin D. When it comes to having beautiful skin, you can compare eating the right foods with getting the right amount of sleep. This is why it is important that you eat healthy foods as they can influence how your skin looks.
Here are the best foods for your skin’s appearance and health:
1. Kale: This green is rich in vitamin K, along with anti-inflammatory properties. Eating kale regularly can help prevent bloating, which can prevent face puffiness. Additionally, kale has sulfur, which reduces skin redness and flaking.
2. Chocolates: If you’re on a diet, you’re probably staying away from chocolates. But they are actually good for you – as long as you are eating them in moderation and you choose a high quality product with at least 70% cacao content. Make sure you also pick the dark chocolate variant because this is the healthy kind. Dark chocolates have flavonols, which are actually antioxidants that can help keep your skin firm. Flavonols also aid in protecting your skin, so it stays healthy.
3. Green Tea: This beverage is considered very healthy because of its many benefits. Green tea is loaded with an antioxidant known as EGCG, a type of polyphenol that can provide protection to your skin against the damaging effects of ultraviolet rays. The other antioxidants in this tea also help in preventing impairment of the DNA.
4. Turmeric: This yellow spice is mostly known for being a part of curry dishes. But turmeric is more than just a spice. It is a source of various healthy nutrients, including the chemical known as curcumin. Many studies have been centered on curcumin and its health benefits. One of the most important benefits is that eating turmeric can help you reduce skin cancer risk, along with inflammation and skin damage caused by pollution and other environmental factors.
5. Coffee: Most people can’t live without coffee. And if you’re one of them, here’s some good news for you. This beverage can reduce cellulite, which is why many facial and body scrubs have this as an ingredient.
Aside from the five foods mentioned above, you should also up your intake of ginger, buckwheat, black oysters, and cabbage among other skin-friendly foods. Don’t forget to drink a lot of water. You skin needs to be hydrated at all times to stay youthful and healthy looking.