There are many skin changes that we associate with signs of aging; these include wrinkles, loss of skin tone, and altered pigmentation among many others. Skin aging is a part of growing old. While we will all grow old, there are some people who experience accelerated skin aging. Of course, no one wants this to happen to them, which is why it is necessary to know the signs as well as the causes. It will be much easier to prevent skin aging when you have more information about it.
Before you see signs of skin aging, you should know the causes, so that you can find ways to combat it. According to scientists, there are plenty of reasons why people’s skin age faster than normal.
These reasons include the following:
• Ultraviolet exposure: While we all need the sun, there are times when it can promote skin damage. For those who like to tan themselves, there is a line between healthy and unhealthy tanning. Science has already confirmed that ultraviolet rays can penetrate the skin, which can lead to damaged skin support structure.
• Free radicals: These are also known as reactive oxygen species (ROS), which cause harm to the body. Eat healthy to eliminate them; otherwise, they can cause skin aging and even other health problems.
• Metalloproteinase enzymes: When these are activated, they can lead to a decline in the production of collagen, which is an important protein in the human body. When collagen production is reduced, this can cause the skin to have a problem with healing, while the skin appears saggy and wrinkly.
• Repeating the same facial expressions: When you repeatedly have the same facial expression, this can lead to fine lines and wrinkles. The reason behind this is that the skin eventually loses elasticity because it doesn’t go back to its normal state.
• Sleeping on the sides: This has the same effect as having the same expression on your face. When your skin is pressed up against your pillow while you sleep for many hours every night, it can minimize your skin’s elasticity.
• Smoking: This is considered one of the most common causes of skin aging. When you smoke regularly, you speed up the aging process for several different reasons. One is that you have repeated facial actions. But the worst is that you are absorbing the chemicals from the cigarettes, which go to your bloodstream. This leads to constricted blood vessels, causing you to have less nutrients and oxygen in the body.
While there are causes of skin aging that we cannot control, there are also extrinsic factors that we can do something about to prevent and even treat skin aging.