At least six million kids in the United States have lice. Unfortunately, they spread and if your child has lice, you could have them too. There are prescribed treatments that you can use, but these are actually insecticides that could have toxic ingredients. Of course, you don’t want these chemical-laden products. Instead, you can use the following methods to naturally treat those problematic head lice:
Garlic has a very strong smell, which can suffocate the lice and kill them. Here’s what you need to do:
- Grind at least eight garlic cloves until they make a paste.
- Ready two to three teaspoons of juice from one lime.
- Mix the garlic paste and the lime juice.
- Apply the new paste to your scalp and leave it there for at least 30 minutes.
- Use warm water when rinsing the paste off.
Just like garlic, applying baby oil on your hair and scalp can suffocate the lice. But don’t stop there. You can effective kill more lice with these techniques:
- After applying baby oil on your hair, comb it slowly to let the lice fall from your head.
- Wash your hair with warm water and use laundry detergent instead of shampoo.
- Before you go to bed, apply white vinegar onto your hair. You may not be too happy with the smell, so you can cover your head with a towel or a shower cap. Don’t rinse until the next morning.
- Wash your hair in the morning. Use your shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat this for at least three days.
Here’s another type of oil that is effective against lice: olive oil. To use this, follow the steps below:
- Before you go to sleep, apply some olive oil to your hair. You can put a towel or shower cap on, so the oil won’t go to your pillow.
- Comb out the lice the next morning before you wash your hair with herbal shampoo. It helps if the shampoo contains tea tree oil.
Salt and Vinegar
Salt and vinegar are used to eradicate lice that bite your head and suck your blood. Here’s how to use them:
- Mix ¼ cup of salt and the same amount of vinegar. You can place the mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution to your head until your hair is thoroughly wet. Leave the solution for at least two hours. You can put a shower cap, so as to suffocate the lice and their eggs.
- Wash your hair with water and apply conditioner.
Having lice is frustrating, but the good news is that you can get rid of them cheaply and without using harmful chemicals. Follow the instructions above and you will eventually be lice-free.