Stress is a part of everyday life. You worry about your kids, your marriage, your job, your finances, and a whole lot more. Anxieties could consume your day, but you can feel better when you go out with a friend and have some food. However, the wrong kind of food can make it even worse for you. Not only can this cause you to gain weight, but it can also stress you out even more. The foods to avoid include:
1. Doughnuts: Baked confections can easily cause you to become more anxious than you already are. This is because doughnuts and its cousins don’t have fiber to digest all the sugar it contains. As a result, cortisol, the stress hormone, increases along with your glucose levels.
2. Pretzels: Simple carbs may be the simple solution you are looking for to eliminate stress in your life. The truth is eating pretzels can lift your mood, but the effect only lasts for a few minutes. After that, you’d feel even worse than you did before you ate this crunchy treat.
3. Chips: High in trans fat, potato chips are simple carbs that lead to weight gain and can be detrimental to your health.
4. Sweetened Coffee: Caffeine is considered a mood booster as it stimulates the activity of dopamine in the brain while lowering depression risk. However, if you keep turning to sweetened coffee when you’re stressed, you are consuming tons of calories, while ingesting a lot of sugar.
5. French Fries: Greasy fat is one of the things people look for in food when they are not feeling so good. French fries are loaded with carbs, trans fat, and sodium. All of which can lead to depression and of course a fat midsection.
6. Soda: When you drink regular soda, just imagine you just ate 10 sugar cubes. This can result to a spike in glucose levels and even promotes sugar crash where you suddenly feel tired afterward. Diet soda may seem a good choice, but they still have artificial sweeteners that modify your digestive system’s bacteria. What happens next is that you are at risk of diabetes and obesity.
7. Nachos: You may be looking for something crunchy that tastes really great. Heavy cheese toppings and simple carbs when combined will not help you de-stress unfortunately.
8. Cocktails: it is easy to give in to drinking cocktails when you are not in a good mood. You may feel a bit better after drinking, but you just consumed more than 500 calories, especially if you choose liquors such as piña colada, margarita, and mudslide.
You can combat stress by choosing foods that can fight stress, such as asparagus, avocados, cashews, berries, and green tea. While these may not be as appetizing as the foods that bad for a stressful day, they can boost your mood and leave you feeling refreshed for a much longer time.