Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic. They are so easy to make that you probably don’t need a recipe to whip the sandwich you grew up with. But grilled cheese is not perfect as it has about 410 calories and comes with almost 20 grams of saturated fat. From the cheese to the butter outside the bread, you can already tell this comfort food is a nutritional disaster. It doesn’t have to be though. Here are 6 grilled cheese sandwiches that you can enjoy without the guilt:
1. Strawberries and Cream – Yes you can turn the fruit and some cream into a sandwich. Simply add butter to both sides of brioche slices and toast them. Add ¼ cup of cream cheese to 1 tbsp. of powdered sugar and ¼ cup of mascarpone. Top with strawberries and set the sandwich with the softened cheese.
2. Grilled Cheese a la Pizza – Have a footlong of garlic bread and toast it until crispy. Slice the bread into two and place it on the skillet, then add two tbsps. of pizza sauce, dried basil, mozzarella, and pepperoni.
3. Crunchy Potato Chips – Use white sandwich bread and toast it in a skillet after spreading butter on both sides. Once crispy, top with melted gouda cheese and potato chips.
4. Colby Cheese Grilled Sandwich – Once again, use white sandwich bread. Top with two tbsps. of peanut butter and a slice of banana on one of the breads. The other should have two slices of Colby cheese, cooked bacon (three strips only), and two more of Colby cheese. Melt the cheese and press the ingredients together to set them.
5. Hawaiian Tribute – Toast white sandwich bread that has butter on it. Top both bread slices with mozzarella, Colby cheeses, and a slice of smoked ham. Do not forget the sliced pineapple. You can add one jalapeno, chopped, on both halves of the bread. As an alternative, you can distribute the chopped jalapeno unevenly. Beware though; this can be too spicy for your taste.
6. Healthy Pear – Mix two tablespoons of cream cheese and two ounces of gorgonzola. Prepare a half of pear and cut it into very thin slices. Butter white sandwich bread and toast the two sides of the bread using a nonstick skillet. Now, spread the mixed cheese on both slices of the bread. In one of the slices, add an ounce of prosciutto, while on the other add the sliced pear. You can also sprinkle the sandwich with some crushed pecans.
While the star ingredient in this sandwich is the cheese, you should know that you don’t need mounds of it to have the best tasting grilled cheese sandwich. Use other ingredients, such as potatoes, eggs, lettuce, and tomatoes as well.