The “No Poo” experiment was supposed to last for just 30 days, but the girl who did the test stopped using shampoo for six months. Instead of a commercial shampoo, she used the combined powers of apple cider vinegar and baking soda.
Why the “No Poo” Experiment
There are theories circulating that commercially made hair products, including shampoos, could strip away the natural oils found in the hair. When this happens, this overexcites the scalp and therefore it produces more oils that don’t really benefit your hair. You use your shampoo to clean your hair because oily hair tends to be dirty. Unfortunately, the natural oils don’t get to the ends of your hair. This is why you need to use a hair conditioner to protect the strands and ends from damage and to soften them as well.
The no shampoo experiment is great for those who have fine oily hair, though anyone can do it because it is extremely easy. Whether you have stringy, dry, flat, or thick hair, using baking soda and apple cider vinegar might just help you have better hair.
What Happened in the Experiment?
At first, it was hard to adjust because of the smell. Walking around smelling like salad dressing after showering seemed to be unappealing. The good news was that there was no residual odor, meaning the strong smell of the vinegar dissipates almost immediately.
After a month without shampoo, the girl noticed just how healthier her hair became as she continued to avoid shampoo. It became more manageable and less greasy – she didn’t even have to wash her hair for four to five days. Still, it became much softer and shinier. Of course, there were some setbacks, but those bad hair days were usually easy to fix. Most of the time, she simply applied coconut oil to her damp hair and the frizz was all gone.
How to Do the “No Poo” Experiment
If this intrigued you, you may want to give it a try. Here’s what the girl did:
1. Use two tablespoons of baking soda and put it in a 500 ml (equivalent to one pint) glass jar if you have long hair. For medium length, one tablespoon in one cup of water will do the trick.
2. Fill the glass jar with water and dissolve the baking soda by stirring.
3. Have two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a jar that has the same size as the one for the baking soda. One tablespoon is enough for those who have medium length hair. Add it in one cup of water.
4. Add water to the vinegar.
5. Wet your hair.
6. Pour the baking soda solution to your hair and start massaging.
7. Rinse well afterward.
8. Pour the vinegar to your hair and rinse. Don’t wait too long; one minute is usually enough.
Within six months, you will notice just how silky, smooth, and manageable your hair has become. This natural treatment will surely keep you away from commercially available hair care products that only damage your hair in the long run.