The eyes are considered the windows to your soul, as the saying goes. But doctors are now using it as a guide to know whether a person is healthy or not. In fact, there are over 30 health conditions that show their signs through the eyes. Next time you go see an ophthalmologist or an optometrist, they may be able to spot some problems before medical doctors can.
Eye Irregularities and Their Meanings to Your Health
An eye exam can reveal your underlying health issues. Watch out for the following eye symptoms:
- White Rings: Having white rings around your eyes can mean that you have high cholesterol. It is often accompanied by yellowish bumps on the eyelids. Note though that older people tend to develop these white rings, but it may not be a sign of abnormal cholesterol levels. Nevertheless, it always pays to be cautious.
- Red Spots: When you have red spots in the eye, which look like dots of blood, this may be a sign that you have diabetes. The red spots are caused by high amounts of blood sugar, so the blood vessels swell and get blocked. Sometimes, the blood vessels burst, so your eyes bleed a little. If you don’t get this treated immediately, it can cause you to go blind or at least have impaired vision.
- Swollen or Red Eyes: If you have red, swollen eyes and they are itchy, this may be due to an allergy, typically due to dust, pollen, or from your pets. You can use eye drops to help get rid of the problem, but make sure it has antihistamine to alleviate the itch as well.
- Presbyopia: When you are reading something up-close and you cannot seem to focus on the letters, this may be because of the medication you are taking, such as antihistamines, diuretics, or antidepressants.
- Dry Eyes: Some medications cause you to have dry eyes, such as antidepressant medications as well as sleeping pills and pain relievers. You could also be sitting in front of a computer monitor or any device for several hours. This can also be a sign that you have an autoimmune disease, known as Sjögren’s syndrome, which typically affects older women by destroying their glands that produce moisture, including those in the eyes.
- Blurry Vision: Having blurry vision may be due to a lot of things. However, if you already have high blood pressure, you should visit your doctor right away because you are at risk of losing your vision.
Some of the eye irregularities mentioned above can be observed by simply looking into the mirror. If you believe there is something wrong, do not hesitate to go to a doctor immediately.