When managing your weight, the key is to eat healthy with the right serving proportions at the right time. If you have a heavy meal at night – even if your meal was healthy – this will not benefit your digestive system. Also, this can keep you awake at night and worse, your weight loss strategy becomes ineffective. You shouldn’t skip dinner as well because you can get hungry, which will cause you to eat some snacks.
If you find it difficult to sleep or stay asleep at night, you are probably eating the wrong foods before bedtime. Here is a list of the foods to avoid before you doze off:
1. Coffee: Unless it is decaf, you may want to stop drinking coffee before you go to sleep. As you may already know, coffee is a stimulant and this is probably why you drink it. You cannot have normal sleep if you drink coffee because it could keep you up. While decaf has less caffeine, you can’t be sure it’s completely caffeine-free. Try herbal tea, such as chamomile tea, instead to have a good night’s sleep.
2. Greasy Foods: Greasy foods or those that are filled with fat will not only make you feel tired and sluggish when you wake up, but they also have a negative effect to your digestive system. These foods can force your stomach to work very hard in order to digest everything. You will have poor sleep if you keep eating cheesy foods, ice cream, and fast foods at night.
3. Beans: There is no doubt that beans are healthy with lots of vitamins and minerals to offer. However, being healthy does not mean you can eat them anytime you want. Beans should not be present at dinner because they can cause stomach problems at night due to their high soluble fiber content.
4. Spicy Foods: Foods that are spicy are considered to be healthy as well. In fact, they are used as treatment for different kinds of ailments. However, sleep troubles are not one of them. In fact, they can cause insomnia because eating them could result to an upset stomach.
5. Chocolates: Chocolates, despite being labeled as bad because they are sweet, have a ton of health benefits. They have antioxidants and brain-boosting properties, particularly if you opt for dark chocolates. However, they shouldn’t be eaten late at night because they have caffeine and theobromine which are both stimulants.
There is actually no need to deny yourself of snacks late at night. However, you should be smart when it comes to picking what you eat, so you can have a restful sleep when you close your eyes.