You have our permission to go loco over avocado.
Compared to other fruits, the avocado is quite unique. While most fruits are made up of carbohydrates, avocados are rich in healthy fats. There are already many studies that prove how avocado is beneficial to most people’s health. Among the health benefits that are supported by scientific research are the following:
1. Avocados are rich in nutrients. Avocados are not only flavorful, but they are also very nutritious with about 20 vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B5, folate, potassium, vitamin E, and vitamin B6. Avocados also have magnesium, copper, iron, manganese, zinc, and phosphorus.
2. Avocados are great for dieters. If you are on a diet or you want to lose weight, you don’t have to avoid avocados simply because they are considered fatty fruits. While the fruit has 160 calories, the fats in avocados (15 grams) are healthy. It also has two grams of protein, which can help you repair muscles when you exercise. An avocado does have nine grams of carbohydrates, but seven of them are fiber. Additionally, this fruit does not have sodium and cholesterol.
3. Avocados have high amounts of potassium – even higher than bananas. Bananas are considered the main source of potassium, but many people don’t know that avocados are rich in this mineral as well. In fact, they have higher amounts of potassium than bananas. Many individuals don’t get enough potassium, which is a nutrient that aids in maintaining electrical gradients in the cells of the body. Eating avocados can help solve the problem.
4. Avocados can help prevent heart disease. There are many people who get heart disease because of sedentary lifestyle and poor diet. Adding avocados to the food you regularly eat can help lower your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which can contribute to you being free from heart disease. There are studies that have shown just how avocados were able to reduce the total levels of cholesterol by lowering the bad cholesterol up to 22% and increasing the good cholesterol up to 11%.
5. Avocados can help you have better eyesight. Avocados come with lutein and zeaxanthin, which aid in improving and maintain eye health. These two nutrients are also known for significantly reducing the risk of acquiring cataracts in older people as well as macular degeneration.
Avocados are definitely healthy as they offer several health benefits to those who eat them. With their high fat content, they are great substitutes for meat in salads and sandwiches.