You may not think of it as dangerous, but driving can kill you if you are not careful. Still, we neglect the fact that it is life-threatening, which is why many people get injured or worse, get killed due to car accidents.
If in a very unfortunate way you face a car crash, there are a few important things you should know in order for you to survive.
- Know how to properly use your seatbelt. Your first line of defense against car crashes is your seatbelt. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), half of the accidents that happened in the past would have been prevented if seatbelts were properly utilized.
- Educate yourself about airbags. Most people have modern cars these days. When you have one, it likely has one or more airbags. This simple invention has the potential to save your life. However, you should be aware that it can injure you while it does its job to help you survive. You should know where the airbags are located and be sure nothing hinders them to come in contact with your body in case impact happens.
- Make use of your pickup bed or your trunk for your things. Instead of placing different objects inside your car, you should place them in an area where they cannot get to you. Note that when you crash against another car or object, your items will fly everywhere. According to the study conducted by Intel at the University of California, there are almost five objects inside the car that could be a danger to the life of both the driver and the passengers.
- Car maintenance is a must. You should bear in mind that accidents can happen whether you are prepared or not. While you have your airbags and seatbelts, you should also not forget about the non-safety systems inside and around your car, such as the brakes, suspension, and engine. Everything should be well-maintained to minimize the damage, not only to your car but to everyone riding it.
- Don’t move. Most people’s instinct when an upcoming car crash is inevitable is to duck, hunch, or transferring to another place in the car. Simply moving out of your regular driving position could harm you. Your car has a built-in security system and they are designed in such a way that you are in your normal position.
The best way for you to stay out of harm’s way is to know how to drive and follow the rules of traffic. By being conscious of the road conditions, you can save not only your life, but other people’s lives as well.