Oil pulling has been around for years and has already gained a lot of followers. This procedure is a popular way to detoxify orally by means of swishing a tablespoon of oil in and around the mouth for at least 10 minutes.
The most popular types of oil used are coconut, olive, and sesame oils. If your aim is to clean your oral cavity, you can use coconut oil pulling.
How Oil Pulling Works and What are Its Benefits?
What oil pulling does is similar to soap when you wash your dishes. It can get rid of dirt and toxins, while the whole mouth becomes an antiseptic environment. This makes it easier to prevent cavities and periodontal diseases. Perhaps you have heard about coconut oil pulling but you are not sure why you should do this. Here are important benefits you can gain with this Ayurvedic practice:
- Fights and cures tooth decay
- Eliminates bad breath
- Strengthens gums that often bleed
- Whitens teeth
- Prevents lips from cracking
- Soothes sore and dry throat
You may also be surprised to know that coconut oil pulling can help you clear your skin. So if you’re prone to acne, you should definitely try this detoxification method. But what’s even better is that coconut oil pulling can boost your immune system and prevent heart disease.
So now that you know the benefits of coconut oil pulling, you may be wondering how to do this. The steps are very simple. Here are the things that you should follow:
1. After waking up, don’t do anything or take anything, including water and brushing your teeth. Instead grab your coconut oil and get a tablespoon.
2. Put one to two tablespoons of coconut oil and swish this in your mouth. Make sure you get the liquid between your teeth.
3. Do the swishing for 10 minutes if you’re a beginner, 20 minutes if you’ve done this before. Some people may find themselves gagging from the oil, so just try to have in your mouth for at least five minutes.
4. Make sure you don’t swallow the oil. Spit it out and rinse your mouth quickly using warm water. You can add salt if you want to add antimicrobial properties to water.
5. Brush your teeth like you normally would.
Oil pulling should be done at least three times a week. You can also add essential oils to make the mixture a bit more pleasant if you are squeamish. While there are other oils that can also be used, coconut oil is the best option because it has many other healing properties including improving Alzheimer’s, increasing good cholesterol, burning fat, and decreasing aging speed.