If you love commercially-sold root beer, you ought to try making your own root beer at home. There’s an undeniable charm in brewing your own root beer recipe the traditional way. If you’re interested, here’s one recipe that is easy to do and yet tastes really good. The ingredients are as follows for 19 liters of root beer:
- Four ounces of birch beer extract
- 5 pounds of corn sugar
- Two inches of cinnamon stick
- One pound of honey
You can adjust the amount of ingredients if you like and you can even add half a pack of ale yeast, which will give you five grams of it. When you have the items listed above, you can proceed with the steps below:
- Boil the stick of cinnamon for about 15 minutes.
- Add honey, sugar, and the extract of birch beer.
- Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes before letting it cool.
- Add water and transfer the beer into a keg or you can use a bottle.
Herbs for Root Beer
You’ve probably heard about how beneficial some herbs are, but when making homemade root beer, you will see most recipes use sarsaparilla, wintergreen, and sassafras. While these herbs are safe for almost everyone they contain safrole. There have been studies that claimed the compound can cause cancer in mice. Before you make root beer that uses any of these herbs, you should always talk to your doctor first. Additionally, if you have a medical condition, you’re pregnant, or nursing, you may want to stick to other beverages such as ginger ale.
Meanwhile, if you’re not comfortable using the mentioned herbs above, you can use others, such as:
Some of the herbs though can be quite expensive, so it’s best to stick with the simple recipe above. If you want a recipe that features one or two of the herbs above, here’s one you’ll like. Prepare the following ingredients:
- Four ounces of dried sarsaparilla root
- Two ounces of dried burdock root
- Two ounces of dried yellow dock root
- Two ounces of dried spikenard root
- An ounce of hops of your choice
- Eight cups of sugar
- 12 fluid ounces of molasses
You can also use half a pack of ale yeast here if you want. The steps are as follows:
- Let the herbs simmer in water for about 30 minutes.
- Then add the molasses and sugar next.
- Stir well to dissolve.
- Let the substance sit for 15 minutes with temperature of more than 160 F.
- Then let the root beer cool.
- Siphon the beer to keg before you add water until you fill 19 liters.
You can force the root beer to carbonate or you can simply add the yeast before you put it in a bottle container. Now, you can enjoy an all-natural root beer at home.