Spanish lime, also known as the quenepa fruit, is a fruit that grows in tropical regions. It is actually very popular in Florida, Mexico, Caribbean among other the tropics. In some areas, this is called limoncillo and mamon among many other names. Spanish limes are small fruits with almost the same size as olives. They have a hard skin and once opened, you will find the sweet flesh with jelly-like consistency.
Spanish limes are generally eaten fresh, but you can also consume them for dessert and juice or as an ingredient to your sauces. Quenepa is actually very nutritious with tons of health benefits to offer, including:
1. This fruit is full of fiber that can help in lowering cholesterol levels and preventing constipation.
2. Spanish limes also contain vitamin A that is best known for providing good vision and maintaining it even as you grow old. Aside from this, the vitamin can boost your immune system, while stopping the possibility of urinary stone development.
3. The fruit also has vitamin C, which is one of the essential vitamins for the human body. This vitamin acts like an antioxidant that can help get rid of free radicals that cause inflammation, which when retained, can lead to plenty of serious diseases.
4. Quenepa fruit also has the mineral calcium, which is important in keeping your bones and teeth strong. Calcium is also said to be effective in preventing certain cancers.
5. When you eat Spanish limes, you also get another mineral in the form of phosphorus. This mineral is helpful in regulating your hormones as well as in keeping your digestive system healthy.
6. If you regularly have insomnia, you can combat this sleep disorder by eating Spanish limes at least four times a week. This is because the fruit has large amounts of the amino acid tryptophan, which is an essential nutrient that can help you get a good night’s rest.
7. Spanish limes also have lysine, which is another amino acid that most of the proteins in the body contain. Lysine is important as it promotes proper growth. It is also believed that this amino acid can help prevent herpes.
Spanish limes are rich in antioxidants. Although there is lacking evidence and studies about them and their health benefits, many people and even experts believe that this fruit can lower high blood pressure and even help individuals with asthma, which are among the health benefits along with the ones mentioned above.