For several years, steaming has been a center of a debate as experts claim this type of cooking is better than the convention one. When you steam, you continuously boil water and the steam it gives off will cook the vegetable. You can use a steamer or a colander and place it above a saucepan where the boiling water is found.
If you want to start practicing a healthy lifestyle, you can start with this method of cooking. Here are the reasons why you should choose steaming over the traditional way of cooking food:
1. You don’t need oil. This is not only good for your wallet, but also for your health. While there are healthy oils out there, it is still better to go oil-less on food. Stop frying and go for steaming. You will soon see that your food has lower fat content in it.
2. No food goes to waste. Sometimes, when you are in a hurry, you forget to check on the food that you are cooking. As a result, you overcook or worse, you burn your food. This usually happens when you grill or fry your food, but never with steaming. You can use a steamer machine where you can set a timer. The food will cook itself for the time you specified.
3. Flavor is not affected. If you steam several vegetables at a time, you do not have to worry about cross-flavors. This is because this method of cooking does not promote flavor contamination.
4. It is a healthy method. When you steam, you can be sure that the vitamins of the vegetables that you place in the steamer remain intact. This is very true with vitamin C, which is one of the essential vitamins for the body. Other vitamins, such as vitamin B, also stay within your food, so you don’t have to be concerned about your family’s health whenever you steam your meals.
5. Steamed food is anti-cancer food. Many vegetables, such as cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli, are rich in anti-cancer properties, including glucosinolates. When you overcook your food, these components are removed. Thankfully, this does not occur when you steam your meals because you cook the food in low temperatures. Plus, you only use a small amount of water, so the compounds remain.
With the benefits of eating steamed food, it is no wonder that health enthusiasts are ditching their frying pans, oils, butter, and baking trays to take advantage of real nutritious meals.