Rose elixir is quite tasty, but it is not just renowned for its wonderful flavor. It is also an indispensible remedy that has many benefits, including its external use for the following:
- Wounds and burns
- Itchy skin
- Insect bites
- Rashes and prickly heat
- Poison ivy and blisters
- Sore muscles
Meanwhile, when consumed, rose elixir can be used for the following:
- Panic attacks, trauma, and stress for children, adults, and even animals
- Low sex drive
- Menstrual cramps
With the uses out of the way, you’re probably excited to make your own rose elixir. Here are the things you will need:
- Fresh rose petals (wild or domestic without pesticides)
- High-quality brandy
- 1/3 pint of raw honey
Before you proceed, here are some notes to consider:
- You will need a pint canning jar or any kind of glass jar that can be sealed well. You’ll also need a stirring spoon.
- Pick roses that are very aromatic. You can use different types and colors.
- With raw honey, use the lighter variety since darker honey types can be overpowering.
Now you’re ready to make your own rose elixir. Here are the steps:
- Place the roses in the jar. As much as possible, fill it up to the brim.
- Pour honey all over the roses and make sure the petals are coated well. Stir whenever necessary.
- Then, fill the whole jar with brandy. Stir when there are air bubbles.
- Cover the jar properly and shake to mix the ingredients.
- Let the roses soften for about four to six weeks (the longer the better). Place in a cool, dark area for better maceration.
- After the long wait, strain the contents, but make sure you don’t get rid of anything, including the liquid.
- Next, infuse the petals with brandy and honey. You can now consume this plain or you can add it to a fruit salad or cake.
Rose elixir is a superb remedy for many aches and pains. The combination of ingredients makes it very effective. Honey, for instance, can give a soothing effect, while the roses can keep the blood moving as they promote healing and pain relief. Rose elixir also acts as an astringent, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory. Plus, it can stop infections without causing irritation. It is also safe in general, but make sure you talk to a physician first before you consume rose elixir, especially if you have a serious health condition.