If you are on a diet, you might think you should stay away from eating snacks, since these can only lead to more calorie consumption. However, the right snacks can actually help you control your appetite. Some of the healthiest choices for snack combinations include the following:
• Fruits and yogurt
• Your favorite nuts, such as pistachios, hazelnuts, and walnuts
• Any fruit and cottage cheese (the low-fat kind)
• Salad consisting of a low fat dressing, sliced tomatoes, cottage cheese, and cucumbers
• Slices of fruit with one tablespoon of peanut butter
If you take a good look at the examples of snack combinations, you will notice that they come with protein, carbs, and fat. These three can help combat hunger because the foods that contain them can make you feel fuller for longer.
Other snacks that you can try are:
• One cup of cereal and a handful of pumpkin seeds: Choose a cereal that contains high amounts of fiber to help you with your weight loss goals.
• One cup of edamame: This can already meet a third of your daily fiber and protein requirements.
• Tomato soup that has some baby carrots: This snack is like a small meal and can help you feel satisfied when your dinner is still many hours away. The combination contains lycopene, which is effective in fighting cancer. It also has beta carotene and potassium.
• Frozen Mexican Tamale Pie: This helps you control your calorie intake and has a good amount of carbohydrates. You can get energy from this afternoon snack along with protein and antioxidants.
Most of the snacks in the two lists above are healthy. But what if there’s nothing available, except some snack options from the vending machine? The good news is that there are still some choices that will keep you on track of your diet even when you put a dollar in the machine. The best option to go for is a granola bar and a bottle of water. Most vending machines come with granola bars, so always pick them when you go hungry. If there are no granola bars present, go for pretzels. Always avoid chips as they won’t help you with your weight loss strategy.
Aside from chips, don’t choose chocolates either. Chocolates are tempting, but they are high in sugar and will only cause your blood sugar levels to fluctuate. As a result, you will easily be hungry if you start eating chocolates. If you are craving for something sweet, just choose a candy that has almonds or peanuts in it. However, always be smart and go easy on these sugary treats as they could ruin your diet.