Ginger has been around for centuries and it has been used for medicinal purposes for years and years, as confirmed by the University of Maryland Medical Center. This root is a popular treatment for motion sickness, nausea, headaches, and even cold and cough.
Why Ginger is Effective against Cough and Cold
Ginger is useful in calming sore throats, while reducing coughing, particularly coughs due to common cold. There are actually a number of medicinal products, including ginger lozenges that are available commercially. But you don’t have to buy these products because you can make your own remedies at home. Here are some recipes that will effectively cure cough and cold using ginger:
Recipe #1: Ginger Tea with Lemon and Honey
You will need:
- Cup of boiling water
- Ginger (grated)
- A tablespoon of honey
- One tablespoon of lemon juice
With those ingredients ready, do the following:
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add ginger and let it steep for three minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice and honey.
- Strain the tea to remove the grated pieces of ginger.
- Stir well and enjoy.
Recipe #2: Ginger Tea with Lemon and Honey (Method 2)
- Three inches of ginger (chopped)
- Two cups of water
- Half a cup of lemon juice
- Two tablespoons of honey
Follow the same steps as the first recipe, but before straining, cover with a plastic wrap first for 10 minutes. After that, you can strain the drink.
Some Options for Ginger Tea
After you have made your ginger tea, whether it is the first or the second method, you can add any of the following:
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon which will act as an antiseptic to get rid of the cold virus
- One crushed garlic for immunity
- A pinch of cayenne pepper before you steep the tea
Recipe #3: Ginger Ale
- A cup of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of granular baker’s yeast
- Two tablespoons of grated ginger
- Juice from one grapefruit or lemon
You will also need a bottle and a funnel. With the ingredients and materials ready, here’s what you need to do:
- Use the funnel to put the sugar and the yeast into the bottle.
- Add ginger, lemon or grapefruit juice, and water into the bottle.
- Put the cap on and start shaking.
- Add more water after shaking the bottle.
- Shake again and store in a warm place for up to two days.
You will know when it is time to drink your ginger ale when the bottle opens easily.
Whether it is fresh ginger or ginger tea, you can get rid of cough and cold almost overnight using any of the recipes above.