When we think of sugars, one of the products that come in mind is soda, which has been considered one of the culprits of obesity. However, the problem is that added sugars are everywhere. You can find them in seemingly healthy foods, such as energy bars, yogurts, and even the favorite of many health conscious individuals: whole grain bread.
It has been discovered that about 80% of the products that we have today in the supermarket come with added sugar.Damon Gameau, an Australian director and comedian, is set to educate people about the dangers of consuming too much sugar, particularly added sugars. For three years, he didn’t consume sugar, but for the sake of the documentary he filmed, he gave up his typical diet. He normally consumes fresh foods until he decided to change his meal plan and added foods that contain 40 teaspoons of sugar every day.
The Sugar Experiment
According to research, an average American consumes about 22 teaspoons of sugar every day. So what happens if Damon ups his sugar intake, almost double of the regular amount? There was a twist in the challenge though. The Australian actor was not allowed to eat the sources of sugar that are too obvious, which include:
- Ice cream
What he was allowed to eat included those that are perceived as healthy, but are actuallyloaded with unhealthy white stuff. Among the examples are the following:
- Health bars
- Fruit juice
- Low-fat yogurt
Results of the Experiment
Within just two months, Damon already saw some changes, not only in his physical appearance, but also in his health:
1. His waist line increased a few inches just after two months of consuming more sugar than normal.
2. His appetite increased because he never felt full. He just kept eating whenever he felt hungry.
3. He became cranky. Science has proven that too much sugar can indeed affect a person’s mood, especially if the body feels it is not getting enough.
4. He easily became addicted to sugar. It was as if the more he consumed, the hungrier he got and more he wanted to eat.
5. His insulin levels started to shoot up. His hormones were also affected as they started trapping fat within his body.
In just two months, Damon Gameau found himself unhealthy. Although he did consume the same amount of calorie when he was consuming fruits and vegetables, the added sugar was poisoning his body. Sugar is not completely bad as it is needed for energy, but too much of it can definitely be detrimental to our health.