The acidity of substances, including foods, is measured through the 14-point pH scale. A 7.0 is neutral, which means it is neither alkaline nor acidic. Anything that measures 6.9 and below is acidic and 7.1 and above is base or alkaline. Generally, fruits are known to be the most acidic, but there are also veggies that are acidic, such as:
- Artichokes, pickles, and anything processed with vinegar
The body has a pH balance to know the amount of alkaline and acid that should be present in your system. In reality, it is not dangerous to be too acidic, but there are various symptoms that you should be aware of. If you are highly acidic, you can experience the following:
- Low energy levels
- Recurring infections
- Dry skin
Eating foods that are high in acid can cause overacidity, which can reflect in your urine. Unfortunately, this can cause you to have uric acid stones, which is a type of kidney stone. Overacidity can also cause other problems, such as muscle deterioration and bone issues. Additionally, overacidity can increase your chances of developing chronic diseases, such as cancer, heart ailments, and liver diseases.
Acidic Foods to Avoid
If you think you are too acidic, it is time for you to make specific changes in your diet, especially by means of eliminating the amount of acidic foods you eat. Foods that are high in acid include:
- Dairy products
- Corned beef
- Pale bears
Acidic Foods to Limit
Some foods are fine, but should only be consumed in moderation, such as:
- Corn oil
- Most legumes
Favorite Foods that are Acidic
Most of the foods you indulge in are acidic, which include:
• Ice Cream: Since dairy is acidic, ice cream also is. And what’s worse is that this is the most acidic of all dairy products because it is dense. In fact, it takes 20 cups of any alkaline substance to neutralize one cup of ice cream.
• Cola: If you love drinking soda, it’s time to stop if you are overacidic. But the dangers of coke are almost unlimited, including the high sugar content, its phosphoric acid, and caffeine (which is also acidic).
• Sugar: Sugar is acidic and is in fact a waste product. Note that this includes all kinds of sugars, not just the artificial ones from white sugar to honey to molasses to sucrose. Even sugars from fruits are acidic.
• Yeast: If you have too much yeast in your body, this can lead to overacidity. Yeast is present in alcohol, pasta, bread, and baked goods among others.
Experts believe that the alkaline diet is so much healthier than anything acidic. Make sure that you maintain a balanced pH level within your body by eating fruits and vegetables while curbing your dairy and carbohydrate intake.