Avocados are a fruit loved by many, but there are some who avoid them because they are filled with fat.
This delicious fruit, although indeed fatty, can make you healthier. In fact, those who eat avocados regularly have a lower body mass index (BMI) than people who don’t consume these fruits. Aside from this, here are even more reasons to add avocados to your everyday diet:
1. Extremely Nutritious: Avocados offer almost 20 vitamins and minerals in just one serving. One avocado can typically provide you with the following nutrients based on the recommended daily values (RDV):
- Vitamin K (53%)
- Folate (41%)
- Potassium (28%)
- Copper (19%)
- Vitamin B6 (26%)
- Pantothenic acid (28%)
Avocados also contain 33% vitamin C RDV and 21% vitamin E RDV.
2. Loaded with Healthy Fats: Don’t be afraid of the fats that avocados contain because they are good for you. One type of fat found in avocados is monounsaturated fat, which can actually reduce the risk for heart attacks and strokes by lowering blood cholesterol levels.
3. Weight Management: This may come as a surprise to many. After all, avocados are fatty. But studies have shown that eating half an avocado for lunch can help satisfy overweight people and they even feel fuller for a longer time. If you’re looking for a food to suppress those snacking cravings, avocados are a good option.
4. Diabetes Prevention: Eating avocados can help regulate blood sugar levels, therefore reducing diabetes risk. One study proved that eating half an avocado during lunchtime will not cause changes in the blood sugar.
5. Inflammation Fighter: Believe it or not, inflammation is often the root of many chronic diseases. Eat avocados every day to prevent asthma, allergies, and even degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and heart diseases. Avocados have oleic acid that can provide this benefit.
6. Eye Health Protector: Eating more avocados is also good for your eyes. Problems, such as cataracts and vision loss that could happen as we grow old can be fought by adding avocados to our daily diet. These fruits have lutein and zeaxanthin, which can support eye health for the long term.
7. Improved Nutrient Absorption: Avocados also promote absorption of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, particularly those that are fat-soluble. These include vitamin A, D, E, K, and some antioxidants, such as beta-carotene and lutein.
Aside from all the above-mentioned benefits, avocados are also good for your hair and skin, helping you improve your appearance. With all these healthful properties, you should definitely start eating avocados daily.