In a world obsessed with sexy bodies, a lot of diet fads have existed and one of them is to reduce carb intake. But bread, pasta, and anything that is rich in carbohydrates should not scare you away. In fact, cutting them out of your life can result to some negative effects.
If you are thinking about eliminating bread from your diet, you may want to think again as this drastic change can cause some problems, including:
1. Energy levels drop. Bread and other carb-rich foods contain other nutrients, such as B vitamins, iron, and magnesium. You need these, so you can start your day with good energy and be able to get through it without much trouble. Also, the body uses carbs for energy transformation. Without enough of it, the cells will slow down.
2. Stroke and heart disease risks could go up. While there are studies that show too much carbs can deteriorate health and increase stroke and heart disease risk, the American Heart Association promotes eating bread and other whole grains. This is because having a diet that consists of these foods can lower blood cholesterol levels and risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and stroke.
3. Water weight falls off. When you go to a low carb diet, you are not reducing fat from your body. Instead, you’re losing water weight, which was stored carbs in the form of glycogen.
4. Constipation could happen. According to a study published in Nutrition Research, about 92% of adults don’t get enough fiber. Whole grains have fiber, which is indigestible and they help lower blood sugar levels and avert diseases. If you suddenly stop eating bread, your bathroom habits would also happen irregularly.
5. Mood swings could take place. Carbs help increase serotonin, which is a feel-good neurotransmitter in the brain. When you cut down your carbohydrate intake, you could become unhappier and this can also result to poorer mental health.
Eat the Right Bread
Not all breads are created equal. It can be addicting to eat bread, which is why a lot of people find it difficult to completely avoid it. However, you should not just eat any type of bread. In fact, you should avoid the following:
• White bread
Highly refined grains should be avoided as well. On the other hand, if you’re trying to lose weight, eat whole grains. Look for bread that is labeled as “whole grains” as they can help you lose weight and stay healthy.