Fruits and vegetables are not the only healthy snacks around. If you are a health buff, you’ve probably heard about hummus, which should be a part of your daily snack routine. Hummus is basically garbanzo beans or chickpeas processed to become spreads and dips.
Countries all over the world have been raving about hummus because of the major health benefits it can provide. Moreover, in Israel hummus is a staple meal – just like how bread is for the Americans and rice is to Asians. To many healthy people, hummus is a superfood.
What makes hummus extra special compared to other spreads is its ingredients, which include:
- Lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Tahini and other healthful herbs
If you’re a smoothie fan, be prepared because hummus can be a serious contender when it comes to protein content. Protein, as you know, promotes good muscle health. But that’s not all; hummus is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, making it ideal for you to enjoy a cup of this superfood every day. Nutrients you can get include:
- Vitamin A
- B vitamins such as folate, B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
The long list of vitamins and minerals that hummus can give you does not stop there. Hummus is also packed with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are essential to your heart health especially the former. This creamy spread is also a great source of fiber to help with your digestion.
Health Benefits of Eating Hummus Every Day
For people on the go, snacking on hummus can give them extra energy and also has numerous health benefits, such as:
1. Daily consumption of hummus can help you with your inflammation problems. Inflammation is a sign that your body is flushing out toxins. Chickpeas, olive oil, and garlic, which are some of the ingredients of hummus, are known for their capabilities in reducing inflammation.
2. Cancer risk is decreased by eating hummus every day. As chickpeas contain huge amounts of fiber, they help keep your digestive system bacteria-free. Toxin buildup is also prevented, thus decreasing your chance to acquire colorectal cancer in the long run.
3. The fiber found in hummus, along with the other nutrients, helps you lose weight. Overeating is also avoided because of the satiety you get from its healthy oils.
Snacking on raw vegetables and fruits is not the only way you get healthier. Hummus, the nutritious spread, is a sure way to live a healthy lifestyle. Spread it on your bread or use it as a dip to enjoy this yummy superfood.