For seven years now, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) has been ranking the top 200 American restaurant chains. This is to find out the unhealthiest drinks, desserts, and dinners that diners are consuming on a regular basis. Here are the dishes that made it to the shocking list:
7. Warm Apple Crisp from The Cheesecake Factory – Two scoops of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, sautéed apples, and caramel sauce equal to 1,740 calories, 48 grams of saturated fat, and 32 teaspoons of sugar.
6. Chorizo Fiesta Omelet and Pancakes at IHOP – Southern-inspired spicy breakfast with chorizo sausage, onions, roasted red peppers, rolled up egg blanket with pepper jack cheese, sour cream, and citrus chili sauce 1,300 calories. But that’s not all as you can choose the side dish, which can give you 1,990 calories in total plus 42 grams of saturated fat, 4,848miligrams sodium, and 12 teaspoons of sugar.
5. Large Pineapple Upside Down Master Blast from SONIC – Vanilla ice cream, pineapple swirl, salted caramel, pie crust pieces, and whipped cream are all handed to you in a 32-ounce cup. This dessert gives you 2,020 calories, 61 grams saturated fat, 4.5 grams trans fat, and 29 teaspoon sugar.
4. 2 for $12 Pick & Choose from Uno Pizzeria & Grill – Choose from three pizzas, four pastas, and five different salads. But the most calorific menu items are Baked Ziti & Sausage Pasta and Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza. Together, they can give you 2,190 calories, 49 grams saturated fat, and 5,420 mg sodium.
3. Louisiana Chicken Pasta from The Cheesecake Factory – Here’s another one from The Factory that will bill your body 2,370 calories in the form of 1 ½ pounds of pasta and four slices of chicken with heavy cream and butter. Aside from the calories, you will also get 80 grams saturated fat and 2,370 mg sodium.
2. Herb Roasted Prime Rib from Outback Steak – The entire meal that comprises of 16 ounces of prime rib, dressed baked potato, blue cheese wedge salad, half loaf of bread, and butter with complimentary items that include pumpernickel bread and two sides will give you 2,400 calories. Expect to gain 71 grams saturated fat and 3,560 mg sodium as well.
1. Create Your Own Combination and the Traditional Lobsteria from Red Lobster – Order this and get not only a complimentary basket filled with Cheddar Bay Biscuits, but also at least 2,710 calories regardless of your chosen combination. Plus, enjoy 37 grams saturated fat and 6,530 mg sodium.
This list aims to help the consumers understand how important it is to know the nutritional breakdown of their meal for the sake of everyone’s dietary health.