How to Stop Yourself from Farting

How to Stop Yourself from Farting

Farting is often used for comedic purposes. In social situations, it can cause embarrassment and sometimes even distress. And while everyone farts, a bout of passing wind can happen at the most undesirable times, such as when you are in a crowded elevator.

Farting is definitely normal and farting a lot is not truly a serious condition. But how much is too much when it comes to flatulence? According to experts, excessive passing of gas can be managed through some changes in diet and lifestyle. How do you know yours is a problem that requires treatment?

Farting Facts

Farts are not really smelly as 99% of the wind you pass is odorless. The remaining 1% comes from the sulfurous gases, such as methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide, which make your farts smelling awful. Normally, we pass half a liter of gas each day, which is equivalent to 14 farts. You can fart more than this number and it would still be considered normal. However, if you have the following symptoms, flatulence or farting can be seen as a problem:

  • Farting occurs too often and usually involuntarily
  • When farting, you release a lot of wind
  • Your farts are always foul-smelling
  • You feel bloated and there’s a knotted feeling in your abdomen
  • Cramping or sharp pains are felt within your stomach

The good news is you don’t have to go to your doctor just yet to resolve the issue. Here are some things you can do to reduce embarrassing episodes of uncontrollable farting:

Farting in Elevator1. Change your diet. There are a lot of foods that cause flatulence, particularly those that contain high amounts of dietary fiber. These foods include broccoli, artichokes, beans, cabbage, dairy products, oats, and radishes among several others. Carbonated drinks also cause too much farting.

2. Eat the right foods. So you know which foods to avoid. Now, learn what to eat. Add bananas, grapes, citrus fruits, and other carb-rich foods to your diet to minimize the farting.

3. Know your medications. Laxatives and antibiotics cause people who fart involuntarily.

4. Some health problems cause flatulence. Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, and ulcerative colitis can make you fart a lot. If you’re constipated, you will also be passing a lot of gas. People who have gastroenteritis also experience too much gas buildup.

5. Tweak some habits. If you’re used to chewing gum, stop it for a while as this can cause flatulence. Eating slowly also helps as you don’t gulp your food down. Eat smaller meals as well and drink peppermint tea. Being active can also cure flatulence as this can eliminate bloating and gas.

Contrary to popular belief, you won’t get sick if you stop yourself from farting. Some moments require you to do so to avoid embarrassment. However, practicing this too often can cause you pain and cramps.