In this day and age, refined sugar is widely consumed and is easily accessible. It’s no wonder that many of us eat foods that are rich in this unhealthy sweetener. Even though various health issues are linked to refined sugar consumption, we still include sweet and processed foods in our diet.
There are certain remedies though that we should know about, especially for people who have a sweet tooth. Instead of indulging in foods that are high in refined sugar, alternatives, such as honey, can help allay cravings for sweet foods, while supporting our health.
White Honey vs. Other Types of Honey
All types of honey are deemed healthy because of the enzymes and nutrients they contain that can benefit our health. There are a few things that set them apart from one another, including their particular nutrient content, their taste, their color, and where the bees collect them.
As for the case of white honey, it can be identified through the following characteristics:
- White honey has a milder flavor, especially when compared to honeys that are darker in color.
- White honey can come from sage, fireweed, white clover, and alfalfa.
- Don’t let the name confuse you. White honey is not really white in color. It is actually almost as clear as water or sometimes, very light amber.
- What’s really great about white honey is that it is not processed and almost comes straight from the beehive. This is why it is commonly known as raw honey.
There are three main types of white honey namely Hawaii white honey (also known as kiawe honey), Ethiopian white honey, and creamed honey.
Health Benefits of Raw White Honey
Heat is beneficial for avoiding crystallization of honey, but it can also get rid of bacteria and antioxidants. White honey isn’t exposed to heat, which is why it can provide the following health benefits:
- Raw white honey has phenolic compounds and flavonoids, which are antioxidants that protect the body against cell damage caused by free radicals.
- Raw honey – and even other types of honey – can help stop cough and provide relief for people with sore throats. The best remedy for cough and cold is the combination of honey and lemon to hot tea.
- Honey can protect the body against inflammation, thanks to its phytonutrients.
Raw white honey may also help manage weight, according to a study by the San Diego State University. Plus, it can also help reduce blood sugar levels.