The 80/20 rule has been around for some time. Businesses have been using this practice for years, while others use it for managing their time. This universal rule can be applied to everything – even your health.
The 80/20 diet is all about moderation: you can indulge on your favorite foods from time to time, but make sure you still focus on losing weight.
It’s More Than Just a Diet
The 80/20 rule is not just a diet – it is actually a lifestyle change. What’s really good about it is that it can lead to sustainable weight loss without asking too much effort from you. Practicing the 80/20 rule allows you to still be with your friends and enjoy social gatherings, but you still make sure you are living clean and healthy. It is simple, doable, and can work for almost everyone:
- 80: The number 80 pertains to 80% of your diet where you should eat healthy foods.
- 20: The other number, 20, pertains to 20% of your diet where you have the freedom to eat and indulge in foods you like as much as you want.
These two numbers may concern you, but this rule is actually quite easy. For instance, if you eat three meals every day, this means you have three meals every week (20%) where you can cheat. Meanwhile, if you eat five small meals per day, you have seven small meals every week as your 20%. This rule understands that it is not easy to be 100% healthy all the time. The pressure itself can actually lead to stress and some people end up
It’s All About Balance
While it is true that the best way for you to be healthy is to cook your meals at home – so you will know which ingredients to add – this rule does not enforce this practice. In fact, you can go out and indulge on carbs and other high calorie foods. Here’s more about the 80/20 rule:
- There’s no need to obsess yourself over how many calories you eat. You can avoid some foods, but you can also enjoy them, such as during Christmas and other holidays. As long as you’re not eating unhealthy too often, you will definitely be fine.
- There’s not much restriction. The truth is following a diet is unsustainable because of the restrictions you face. Some of the foods become too appealing for you, making you cheat more often.
- It’s a healthy lifestyle. The 80/20 rule allows you to listen to your cravings. Whether you want proteins, carbs, or anything sweet, you can eat them. You don’t have to be perfect all the time. You can choose smart and eat healthy most of the time, but you can go off course every few days.