You probably freak out when you see a lot of hair in the shower drain. But calm yourself down as hair loss is normal – to a certain extent. As a matter of fact, it is not unusual for an average woman to lose at least 60 strands every day. In some cases, 150 hairs are still normal.

Trichologist (scalp expert) Philip Kingsley attests that these numbers are completely in the safe range and shouldn’t scare you. It is also important to understand that the amount of hair fall you experience varies on the length of your hair. Shorter hair tends to look like less hair has fallen than longer hair.

When Does It Become Excessive?

You can’t really count the number of hairs you lose. One test is to take 50 or more hairs between your fingers and you pull them. If you lose five to eight hairs in this test, it is normal. However, if you lose 15 and up, this number is something to be concerned about.

Just how many is too many? / PicHelp
Just how many is too many? / PicHelp

For most people, 90% of hair is in growing phase and the remaining is in resting phase. The 10% falls out and will give room for new hair to grow in a certain amount of time. So when you lose 15 strands or more for every hair pull you make, this means that you have more than 10% of hair in resting phase. For some, this is quite normal, but this does not denote it is safe. Make sure you consult an expert to learn what to do to stop this process.

Causes of Hair Loss 

If you are losing hair, it does not necessarily mean that there is a problem. There are reasons why you are losing hair – even in excess – that shouldn’t really cause concern. These reasons include:

  • Too much stress
  • Lack of certain vitamins
  • Poor lifestyle
  • Diet
  • Infection
  • Hormonal imbalance
  • Immunological issues

No matter what the cause, if your hair is falling excessively, you should take a trip to the doctor either to ease your anxieties or get rid of the underlying problem. Additionally, if your hair goes through a process regularly, such as hair coloring, bleaching, and straightening, each strand tends to become weaker. While using these products does not necessarily impact the growth of hair, they can damage the protein structure of hair to a particular degree.

Remedies for Hair Loss 

If you frequent hair salons for a treatment, it is time to minimize this as the products you apply on your hair can lead to breakage. Other ways to halt hair fall include:

  • Using shampoos without sulfate in the ingredients
  • Deep conditioning your hair
  • Using hair supplements with biotin
  • Avoiding hair styling tools that use heat
  • Brushing gently

If you’re losing hair for more than three months, visit a trichologist or a dermatologist as soon as possible.