Garlic is considered a superfood and for very good reasons. This spice is an antioxidant, an antibiotic, an antifungal, and brings that zesty flavor to your meals. You don’t want to serve a bland meal for your family or your guests and garlic is one of the best spices around that can increase your food’s taste. Even though garlic gets a bad rep from the fresh breath troops and from picky eaters, it has a ton of health benefits, including being a source of B vitamins, calcium, potassium, and iron.
Here are some interesting recipes you may have never thought about adding garlic to:
Roasted Garlic Macaroni and Cheese
- One whole head garlic
- One pound of pasta
- Six tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. mustard powder
- One stick unsalted butter
- 5 cups of whole milk
- 1 tsp. black pepper, ground
- Olive oil
With the ingredients ready, here are the steps on how to prepare the pasta and sauce for this recipe:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Take the bottom part of the garlic and place on a foil.
- Add olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Take the top part of the garlic and place it back to its original spot.
- Crumple the foil to seal.
- Roast this for 30 minutes.
- Once roasted, squeeze the cloves and start mashing until they turn to paste.
- Cook the pasta in water with salt.
- Drain and keep half of the water.
- In a separate baking dish, place the butter and melt it in a saucepot.
- Add the flour and the garlic paste to the melted butter.
- While cooking, add the rest of the ingredients.
Chocolate Covered Garlic
- Six garlic heads
- One tablespoon of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of chocolate chips
Here are the instructions:
- Remove the outer layers of the garlic skin and cut a bit of the top off.
- Wrap each head with foil and put them in a tin for cupcakes.
- Add two teaspoons of oil. Make sure each garlic head is coated with oil.
- Bake at 400 F for 30 minutes or until the cloves are soft enough.
- Once cool, remove the roasted cloves out of the skins. You can use a cocktail fork or just your fingers.
- Mix butter and the chocolate chips. Melt them together in the microwave.
- Dip each clove in chocolate and let them cool in the refrigerator.
Garlic Ice Cream
- Three cups whole milk
- ½ tablespoon garlic, chopped
- One cup double cream
- Two egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- One vanilla pod, split
- In a saucepan, mix the milk, vanilla, and garlic.
- Boil the mixture and let it cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, egg yolks, and cream. Strain the milk and add the first mixture. Make sure you stir constantly.
- Let the mixture thicken by heating it to medium and stir.
- When thick, leave the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes and let it cool.
- Put in the freezer overnight.
These recipes are fun and unique. What’s more, garlic is an ingredient that can improve the taste of foods while you take advantage of its health benefits.