Sapodilla is a versatile fruit that is well-known in many parts of the world, particularly in India and Mexico where it is actually used for manufacturing chewing gums. Sapodilla does not only have a unique taste, but also comes with several health benefits and medical uses. As a matter of fact, consuming the fruit is recommended for treatment of some health conditions.
This brown-colored fruit is almost like the kiwifruit, specifically with its texture except for the outer surface. There are different types of sapodilla, including brown sugar, prolific, and Russell. Whichever you prefer, this fruit, no matter what the variety, has a ton of health benefits, including:
- The sapodilla fruit has high amounts of fiber. If you are having problems with your bowel movement lately, turn to this fruit to help ease the discomfort. Sapodilla is actually popular as treatment for constipation.
- This fruit is also used to help people prevent colon cancer.
- The fruit has tannins, which are very beneficial to the body. In fact, these polyphenols are used in many different applications in some traditional medicines. They are even used to ease diarrhea and hemorrhoids.
- Sapodilla has both vitamins A and C that are both antioxidants. Vitamin A is quite known for its role in improving and maintaining vision. When you have enough vitamin A in the body, you are able to prevent macular degeneration, which is a result of aging. Aside from this, vitamin A is needed to maintain healthy mucous membranes and healthy skin. As for vitamin C, this antioxidant is great for protecting the body against free radicals and pathogens that can cause us to get sick.
- Consuming sapodillas regularly can help you avoid blood loss. This is because the fruit has the ability to decrease the occurrence of poor blood flow due to injuries, piles, and many others.
- Sapodilla also has several minerals, including copper, iron, and potassium in addition to folate and niacin acid. With all these nutrients, you can be sure that your body will become more robust, particularly in avoiding both common and serious illnesses.
- Sapodilla is also used as a sedative. If you are having troubles falling asleep at night, you can eat this fruit to help calm your nerves, while helping you de-stress. This is why sapodillas are known as nature’s antidepressants.
Sapodillas, just like many fruits, are extremely healthy. Add them to your diet, so you can enjoy the benefits listed above.