If you are trying to lose weight, you probably think there will be some drastic changes involved. You probably started signing up for marathons, you start a new diet and completely avoid your favorites, and all the other stuff that you think would benefit you. Unfortunately, after a few weeks or months (if you’re really motivated), you find it difficult to stick with the new routine. The result is that you can’t sustain the weight loss.
You don’t have to undergo major changes. The key is to make it simple: go for practices that can impact your weight goals positively without the need to force yourself. You can start with the following, which are a few things you need to give up in order to maintain your weight:
- Staying up late: Depriving yourself from sleep can cause weight gain. If you want to sustain your weight, go to bed at least 15 minutes earlier. Leptin and ghrelin are two hormones that are controlled by sleep and when you don’t get enough sleep, these hormones cause you to crave for food.
- Sugary drinks: If you don’t want to gain weight, stop drinking sodas. They are filled with sugar that can either be sucrose or aspartame, which can increase your appetite. In fact, sodas are known to be huge contributors to obesity.
- Avoiding protein: If you think eating protein is bad, you are completely wrong. Protein is actually essential in losing weight. Have at least 30 grams of protein for your first meal of the day and you will find that there’s a significant reduction on your cravings throughout the day.
- Avoiding certain foods: Since you are trying to lose weight and you don’t want to gain any more, you probably cross out your favorite snacks whenever you go to the groceries. This is of course a great attempt, but doing so actually causes the banned food to be more appealing for you. Stop restricting some foods in your diet. You can still eat your favorites, but do so in moderation.
- Skipping meals: It is common belief that if you skip on lunch, you save yourself from calories, so you can have what you want at dinnertime. This is not how weight loss works though. The hormones mentioned above, leptin and ghrelin, cooperate with you better if you are well-fed every four hours. If not, you will actually experience a spike on hunger and cravings.
Staying slim is not just about eating healthy – it is actually about making a commitment. If you will make some changes in your diet and routine, these changes should remain for a lifetime. Otherwise, you could lose weight now, but you will get back the lost pounds in the future.